Saturday, March 7, 2009

Time

As many of you know, it is time for the time to "Spring Forward." We are entering daylights saving time. Essentially the government is just making everyone wake-up an hour earlier. I understand to the fullest that this tradition started in order to save energy, even though it is a tedious experience to go through. I like to sleep-in late and run late for classes with coffee in hand. This upcoming week I will probably be running later than usual because of time. However I will do what ever it takes in order to reduce the amount of energy I use. Even with the rough transition period to daylight-savings time I enjoy it a lot more than standard time. 

Even though time is just time and we are just doing everything an hour earlier than normal it plays a psychological game on us. Americans are dictated by this concept of time. We are told everyday as a child. "Never be late!" Even though it used to not be like this when the country first started to form. Time became essential when the country started to urbanize. Before this process of urbanizing and industrializing many Americans lived in only rural areas. They where farmers and ranchers. They allowed the natural since dictate them. Americans woke-up when the sun rose and started their duties. They would harvest when it started to get cold etc. They where not dictated by the clock like we are today.

The question comes to is the natural clock better than the societal clock of a.m. and p.m.? Somedays I wish I could live just off of the natural clock. I would be able to wake-up when I wake-up and go to sleep when I am tired. I would return to nature and survive. Then I realize the beauty of societal time because you are able to plan and know when to expect things.

Time also gives us an approach of understanding age and history by looking into the past. It also allows us to have hope for the future. Such as when Bush was in office everyone was looking forward for him to get the hell out and we new exactly when this would occur. 

As much as the natural clock sounds good in theory I know that we will all continue to be a slave to time. It is something that you can not escape. People can be a little more lenient on what is on time for class because no ones watches are set the same. As long as you are in the 5 minute period of early or late you should not be penalized. 

I know that this may take a long time to change that theory because of the capitalism and time dictating Americans. This idea and pressure of always being on time came from the industrial revolution. If a factory worker showed up to work late they would find themselves out of a job. So we have taught ourselves never to be late (even though I always run late). 

Time is something I can discuss for hours but unfortunately I am a slave to time and I cannot finish my thought because finishing my homework on time is calling my name. However what are your ideas on time?

No comments:

Post a Comment